Why we need you:
At Pixo, we imagine, design, and develop strategic apps and websites that guide, inform, and delight real people. We don’t solve problems at face value. We ask questions and explore ideas. As a group, we’re experienced consultants who love what we do.
To do these things well, we count on our Project Management team to keep us on track and strategically guide our projects. We need an inspirational and confident leader who can think strategically about how to meet the goals of our projects and understands the ups and downs of agency work. We’ll empower you to do your best work, so we are looking for someone with an opinion based on experience and industry knowledge. We want a fresh perspective on Project Management — someone to elevate and refine PM practices company-wide.
At Pixo, you will be part of a close-knit, collaborative, and diverse group of professionals. We do great work, and we care how it gets done. We make time to share our knowledge, give each other feedback, grow as professionals, and collaborate closely with our clients. While we’d be hard-pressed to describe a “typical” project, we most often create web, mobile, and business applications, and websites.
Our clients come from various industries — including agriculture, higher education, and manufacturing — and vary in size from small start-ups to multinational corporations. They seek us out because of our reputation for solving challenging problems and providing highly customized solutions.
What we bring to you:
- An opportunity to grow beyond department management and into company leadership. (The person filling this role leads a department, supervises the PMs (currently two), and is part of the company Leadership Team.)
- We have processes in place, but we are interested in reviewing and refining them — we are excited to hear your point of view!
- We offer three weeks of PTO to start, medical insurance (0% employee contribution and 50% for dependents), 401(k) matching, company-sponsored Short-Term and Long-Term Disability insurance, and optional dental, vision, and life insurance.
- In addition to your own PTO, we have 2 weeks of company closure per year and an annually set professional development budget. You will grow here at Pixo.
- We value people over process and consider our workplace an example of how tech companies should treat each other.
- We commit to being approachable and available to each other at all levels.
- When we see something that needs addressing, we speak up, ask questions, or recommend a change.
- We intentionally make time to recharge and disconnect and don’t expect each other to be “on” all the time.
- Pixo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity employer, and we know that diversity and inclusion are competitive requirements, not “nice-to-haves.” (Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Pixo cannot sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.)
The work you’d do:
- Be a supervisor and mentor to Pixo’s project managers.
- Coordinate with the PMs on how they best can support their teams
- Set clear expectations for the PM role and hold PMs accountable.
- Collaborate with other managers to support PMs and project team members.
- Help PMs grow in their current role and reach for what’s next.
- Bring outside perspective to the group, championing process development and changes.
- Meet weekly with each project manager.
- Keep the pulse of Pixo projects and balance the project portfolio and business goals.
- Understand the full landscape of Pixo projects, team members, and how the organization works. Prompt decisions about project staffing and provide utilization information to the sales team.
- Run the weekly resourcing and project check-in meeting with PMs and other managers.
- Monitor project health and provide redirection by monitoring channels and checking in with PMs.
- Support PMs and, when necessary, step in to manage client relationships and lead crucial conversations.
- Add perspective to company strategy and decision-making.
- Keep project priorities and the health of client relationships front and center in company conversations.
- Use vantage point at the intersection of project teams, client relationships, and incoming projects to spearhead process and organizational improvements.
- Align your operation strategy with the organization's goals and objectives.
The Director of Project Management reports to the CEO.
We want you to be able to:
- Relish administrative work AND invest in people and relationships.
- Use or adapt to our agile and scrum techniques.
- Take the initiative to raise issues and solve problems.
- Build rapport with Pixo’s consulting team to be a trusted problem solver and facilitator.
- Balance the variety of needs and opinions of many different people.
- Discuss and explain project details with both technical and non-technical clients.
- Comfortably keep everyone accountable.
- Work efficiently in project management tools, including or similar to Basecamp, Jira, etc.
- Remain poised during conflict and be able to construct and propose rational solutions.
- Show genuine and proactive interest in design and technology.
- Most likely, we'll have you manage a project or two, but your focus will be team leadership.
While we maintain an office in Urbana, IL, this job is remote, work-from-home. Pixo pays full-time remote employees to visit our Urbana office at least once a year.
$94,000 to $100,000
Ready to apply?
Note: This is not a job for juniors. You must have experience leading digital projects and managing people. This probably means at least five years or more of experience. If you don’t have that under your belt, and we should consider you anyway, let us know why!
We encourage diverse applicants. We work with different types of people who come from many different disciplines every day, and we need a variety of perspectives and points of view to do great work.
Through our Breezy link
- A cover letter that lets us know why you’re a great fit for the job and why you’re interested
- A resume (or other representation of your experience)